Currencies and Number Formats
We recently released a bunch of updates for Currencies and Number Formats to enable users from many different regions to feel home using
We recently released a bunch of updates for Currencies and Number Formats to enable users from many different regions to feel home using ERPNext.
The key motivations:
- Use of currency Symbols like $ etc where applicable.
- Use of localized number formats like #,###.## or ##.###,##.
- Standardizing Decimal Precision in Floats.
We quickly ran into many challenges:
- Field types that were Float (like Quantity, Discount etc) were wrongly marked as Currency (to enable formatting).
- The browser only understood one numbering format. i.e. using the . sign as the decimal separator.
- Ensuring consistent data entry.
- Multi-currency: For Import / Export type of transactions, the currencies would change dynamically.
Finally we were able to fix most of these issues and we now have the system ready for release.
To setup your currencies and number formats, go to Setup > Global Defaults
If you are using multi-currency. You will have to now enable all currencies that you use. All existing currencies have already been enabled.
Rushabh is a software developer and founder of ERPNext. He usually writes about the startup experience, open source and the technologies he is working on.